Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mother arrested in "molestation" case

...granted $10,000 bail after failing to bring child to court

A MOTHER for whom an arrest warrant was issued after she failed to produce her 12-year-old daughter to the court in a case in which the child is the alleged victim of indecent assault, was taken before a magistrate on Wednesday.

The woman was led to the San Fernando Magistrates court in handcuffs after the warrant was issued five days before Christmas Day.

On that day, oyster vendor Dipchan Deonanan re-appear in court on the charge of indecently assaulting the girl. He was arrested in June 2014. At his December 20 2016 court appearance defence attorney Jeevan Rampersad said the witnesses seemed not be interested in the matter and asked for the case to be dismissed. Police prosecutor Cleyon Seedan however said the mother of the child had been keeping the girl away from the court.

The charging officer told the court the mother was integral witness and she had served a summons on her on November 26. She had to appear in court and produce the child on December 20. They however failed to show and Seedan asked for a warrant to be issued.

On Wednesday, the mother faced deputy chief magistrate Nannette Forde-John who asked her reason for failing to attend court after the summons had been issued. “You were informed to bring the juvenile to court as a witness.”

The woman said her daughter and the alleged victim in the matter, was sick, suffering from asthma. Asked if she had relayed this information to the court, the woman said she had taken the child to a health centre. She said she had a medical and a document was passed to the magistrate.

Forde-John reminded the woman that it was a “serious issue when you receive a summons and do not appear.” She asked Seedan's input as to whether the woman should be kept in custody until the matter against Deonanan is called on January 17.

Seedan said he will make arrangements for the officer who charged Deonanan to liaise with the mother to ensure the child is brought to court on that day.

The woman was placed on her own bail of $10,000 and told to return to the First Court on January 17. Forde-John warned her, “Make sure to be here at 9 o' clock with the witness.”